Roman Ruin Garden, Heviz
In the Hévíz Roman Ruin Garden you can feel the echo of the ancient Roman era. These are the ruins of buildings from the time of the Roman Empire that have been preserved to the present day. You will be able to discover such an unusual attraction while walking along Attila Street, at the foot of the Egregy Hill. Excavations of the ancient Roman ruins of Hévíz were completed in 2011. Since then, the open-air archaeological park has been one of the city’s main attractions.
Echo of the Roman past in Egregy
Visitors to the Roman Ruin Garden will see several preserved foundations of ancient structures. They are the proof that the Hévíz region was a densely populated area in the era of Roman rule, from about the first half of the 1st century to the beginning of the 5th century. In total, the garden has 11 foundations of household and residential buildings. The park around the ruins pleases with the well-groomed alleys, dense greenery and a cozy atmosphere.
- Museum. Artifacts found during excavations are presented in the building of the Historical Museum of the ruins. Visitors can also watch a documentary about the history of the archaeological work.
- Flavius wish ribbon. They are associated with the legend of the origin of the Hévíz thermal lake. Everyone can leave a ribbon with their cherished desire in a specially designated place.
- Monument to Roman Settlements is an unusual monument in the form of a slightly opened door with a dog guarding the dwelling.
- Grave of a Roman soldier discovered in a private garden in Egregy in 1925.
- Sculpture of the little Caesar.
How to get there
The Roman Ruin Garden in Hévíz is located in the Egregy region. The Dotto Trains tourist tram runs here from the center of Hévíz. It rides according to the schedule, which is hung at the bus stops. They are in the center of the city. The cost of one trip is 1000 forints.
There is no other public transport in Hévíz. The city is small, you can get around on foot. In this case, a walk from the city center to the Egregy region is about 20 minutes. Also, you can rent a bike (free of charge within the limits of the city) in the Tourinform Office in Hévíz (Hévíz, Rákóczi u. 2).